Sunday, February 3, 2008

How to clean your portable water filter

US Survival Forum Home Page

When you get back from your hiking or camping trip, it is important to clean your water filter - if you have used it that is.

Items needed - a measuring cup, bleach, some tap water and of course your water filter.

Measure 32 ounces of water to 2 table spoons of bleach. Unscented bleach should be used. But all I had was this rain scent so it had to do.



Put the pre-filter into the bleach water solution and pump all 32 ounces through your filter.

After you get to the bottom of the bleach solution, you will have to take the pre-filter off to get the rest of the solution out.

After you have pumped all the bleach - water solution through the filter, use just a touch of tap water and pump it through the filter. You might be able to skip this step, but because my bleach was scented, I wanted to flush my filter.

Take the filter apart, remove the pre-filter from its housing and let air dry for at least 24 hours. I had sand in my filter, from when I did not use the pre-filter, so I had to remove the sand as well.

Once the filter has dried, put it back together, wrap the hoses around it and put it in storage.

The discussion thread on this article can be found at this link.

No comments: