Thursday, December 22, 2011

Stockpiling survival gear in 2012

As 2012 approaches, some of us might be thinking about news years resolutions. Along with the typical lose weight and stop smoking resolutions, I would like everyone to post suggestions related to how prepared you and your family are. Where do you need to make improvements. On top of your own preps, what do you family members need to do to improve?

For example, my step-daughters have no can rotation system setup. I thought about buying them some wire racks and then help them get some kind of system going to help them keep their can goods rotated.

In 2011 I tried to focus on fishing supplies, getting a can rotation system working, stockpiling #10 cans and storing food in mylar bags.

Stockpiling food:

Right now 3 superpails are taking up an entire bottom shelf of my shelving system.

I have 2 shelf units installed, on the bottom shelf I have:

3 super pails on the bottom shelf of one unit

Up to 108 cans on the bottom shelf of one unit

I would like a better way to store my superpails. But where do things balance out? Do 3 five gallon superpails equal 108 cans? Would I be better off storing the superpails in a closet and storing 216 cans on the bottom on the shelving units?

This video is how my shelves looked in October 2011. In the past few months there have been several changes made.



Fishing Gear:

I would think to throw a special thank you out to the person who sent me a box of fishing gear. The person asked to remain unnamed, you know who you are, and Thank You.

Some of the stuff I have been stockpiling are trotlines, droplines (noodles), hooks, fishing line, weights,,, and so on. During the spring of 2011 I tried to buy a bunch of perch fishing stuff - small hooks and weights. I was hoping to take the grandkids and my kids fishing this past summer, and we went a few times.

In the summer of 2011 I ran a couple of trotlines and went fishing out on the Angelina river a few times. When June, July and August rolled around the weather got too hot to do anything outdoors. This summer was one of the hottest and driest on record here in Southeast Texas, and for Texas as a whole. Due to the extreme heat, I tried to limit my outdoor activities. The day time temps would hit 100 degrees before noon in July and August. With heat like that, being out on the boat fishing felt like being in an oven.



Plans for 2012

Some of the things I want to do in 2012 include reviewing my seed stockpile, buy a pressure cooker, plant a small garden in my backyard. Even if I do not plant a garden, I would like to buy beans or peas from the local farmers co-op. Then use the pressure cooker to store the beans and peas. Local farmers co-op is a great way to meet up with local farmers. Ask them what kind of crops they are growing, what kind of pesticide and fertilizer works best for what types of crops.

One of the things I really hope to do in 2012 is to plant a bunch of snap beans, and use a pressure cooker to store them in jars.

I would also like to make a homemade stew with a pressure cooker.

The ammunition at the camp needs to be stored in ammo boxes instead of just sitting on the shelf.

I would like to order a sardine can of 223 or 308.

One of the main things I wan to work on in 2012 is preserving my own food. Maybe even try to make jerky with my pit, which would be a good weekend project.

All right people, post your ideas, opinions, thoughts in this forum thread about prepping in 2012.

No comments: